- 1. Comply with the General Kentucky Real Estate License Requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a high school diploma or GED in order to get licensed in Kentucky
- 2. Complete 96 hours of courses or 6 credit hours - Enroll Today
- Complete either 6 credit hours in real estate courses from an accredited college
- Or 96 classroom hours in real estate classes from an approved proprietary school.
- 3. Pass background check
- Applicants must complete an FBI criminal background check prior to taking the Kentucky licensure exam.
- 4. Take the Kentucky real estate license exam
- Pass both the general and state sections of the Kentucky Licensing Exam with a score of 75% or higher.
- Beginning JULY 1, 2015, candidates who pass one portion of the Kentucky Salesperson or Kentucky Broker exam (national or state law) and fail the other portion may retake the failed portion within 4 months of passing the first portion. After 4 months of the initial testing date, both portions must be retaken. Once both portions have been passed, within the required 4 month period, a candidate will be given the application form at the testing center and will have 60 days to apply for their license. After 60 days, the entire exam is voided.
- 5. File your Kentucky real estate license application.
- You must apply for a real estate sales associate license within 60 days of passing your real estate exam.
Student Protection Fund
Pursuant to KRS 165A.450 All licensed schools, resident and nonresident, shall be required to contribute to a student protection fund. The fund shall be used to reimburse eligible Kentucky students, to pay off debts, including refunds to students enrolled or on leave of absence by not being enrolled for one (1) academic year or less from the school at the time of the closing, incurred due to the closing of a school, discontinuance of a program, loss of license, or loss of accreditation by a school or program.
Filing a Claim Against the KY Student Protection Fund
To file a claim against the Kentucky Student Protection Fund, each person filing must submit a signed and completed Form for Claims Against the Student Protection Fund, Form PE-38 and provide the requested information to the following address:
Kentucky Commission on Proprietary Education
500 Mero Street, 4th Floor
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Forms may be located at www.kcpe.ky.gov.