Montana State Required Pre-licensing Hours: 70 hours
Step 1. Meet Montana real estate license requirements as outlined on the Montana Board of Realty Regulation website:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Must have received credit for completion of two (2) years of full curriculum study at an accredited high school or equivalent.
Step 2. Complete the approved 70 hours of Montana real estate pre-licensing education.
Step 3. Pass both portions of the real estate licensing examination by earning a minimum score of 70% on both the national and state portions.
Step 4. Obtain employment from or be under contract with a licensed Montana real estate broker with a supervising broker endorsement.
Step 5. File your Montana real estate license application.
How long does it take to get a Montana real estate license?
It varies per person on how long it takes to get a Montana real estate license depending on the pace in which you complete the 70 hours of pre-licensing coursework and pass your salesperson licensing examination, the time it takes you to complete the application process and find a sponsoring broker, and application processing times.
What kind of information will I learn to help me get a real estate license in Montana?
All Real Estate Express Courses are approved by the Montana Board of Realty Regulation. Once completed, you are eligible to sit for the Montana Real Estate License Exam.
Per Real Estate Express policy, the 70-hour pre-license coursework for salespersons must be completed within six (6) months of the start date. The start date for distance education courses is the date the course material is first accessed and the end date is when all required documentation is submitted to the provider. The pre-license education hours, including the subjects of real estate principles, real estate law and ethics, real estate finance, and related topics, must be completed within twenty-four (24) months of submitting your licensure application.
How do I apply for and take the Montana Salesperson licensing examination?
The examination must be taken through PSI. Both the national and state sections of the Montana Salesperson Licensing Exam must be passed with a minimum score of 70% on each portion. Those who pass one part of the examination and fail the other need to retake only the failed portion of the exam. Examination results are only valid for one (1) year from the passing examination date.
How do I submit my Montana Salesperson application?
You must apply for your Montana real estate license within twenty-four (24) months of completion of the pre-licensing education and within twelve (12) months from the date of passing your licensing exam (or the earlier passing date if the national and state portions were completed on different dates). After this twelve (12) month period, credit for the examination will expire, and the required examination must be repeated before applying for licensure. The proposed supervising broker’s certification of the applicant’s good repute and the broker’s written acceptance of responsibility for supervising the licensed activities of the salesperson must also be included in the application. Learn more about finding a sponsoring broker. Apply for a license at https://ebiz.mt.gov/POL/Default.aspx
The following documents and additional forms are required in addition to the basic application:
- Completion certificate of 70 hours of pre-licensing education.
- Exam results of passing the Montana salesperson examination (state & national portions).
- Official license verification from states and jurisdictions in which the applicant holds or has ever held a professional license of any type, if applicable.
- If you answered yes to discipline questions, include a detailed explanation on the event(s) and documentation from the source (licensing board, federal agencies/programs, or civil/criminal court proceedings such as initiating/charging documents, final disposition/judgement documents, etc.).
Does Montana offer reciprocity?
If you hold a license in another state, you may apply for your Montana salesperson license with the following documents in addition to the basic application:
- Exam results of passing the Montana state portion of the salesperson licensing examination.
- Official license verification from states and jurisdictions in which the applicant holds or has ever held a professional license of any type.
- If you answered yes to discipline questions, include a detailed explanation on the event(s) and documentation from the source (licensing board, federal agencies/programs, or civil/criminal court proceedings such as initiating/charging documents, final disposition/judgement documents, etc.)
Obtaining Certificate of Course Completion: Upon completion of the course, Real Estate Express will provide you an electronic certificate of completion in your account dashboard. You will need to submit your certificate of completion with your license application. Course completion dates are recorded using Central Standard Time, therefore that will be the time reflected on your certificate.
Montana Board of Realty Regulation
Phone: (406) 444-6880
Address: PO Box 200513 301 S Park, 4th Floor Helena, MT 59620